University of Florida Homepage

Alumni Spotlight: Idania (Herrera) Blankenship

<!– –>

<!– Idania team –>
idania now

Idania (Herrera) Blankenship

• Years on the team: 9 years (2005 – 2014)
  • Graduation year: 2008
  • Major in college: Public Relations

What you competed in:
Speech — specifically: Duo, Prose, POI, Poetry, Impromptu & Info.

What you liked most about the team:
The relationships I have made, many of which are as close as family.

What you have been doing since you graduated:
After graduating in 2008, I went on to become an assistant speech coach with the team until 2014, met the man of my dreams, married him and am now living in West Virginia where I miss my UF Speech & Debate family something fierce!

How you feel like the Speech and Debate Team has impacted you:
The impact of this team, for me, extends beyond speeches, tournaments, and even the skills I acquired. This team is a part of who I am, a part of my identity. I grew up on this team. I learned about life, myself and how to truly accept, embrace and love others, regardless of my own beliefs or differences. I’m a better person for having been a part of this team. A person who is profoundly grateful to call the UF Speech & Debate team my family.

Favorite memory of the team:
My favorite? As in just one? Yikes…. umm… when Scott Stewart, Raju Vyas, Amy Martinelli & I got into the wrong car at nationals thinking we were in Amy’s car and wondering why it wouldn’t start…

Favorite topic you spoke or debated on:
With this Ring, I Me Wed – Prose piece arguing that you do not have to wait for a man to love you enough to buy you your favorite ring. Buy it yourself. Love yourself.